Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why are the S&NI Banks introducing a framework?
The framework is one strand in our efforts to maintain a high level of confidence in S&NI banknotes. The S&NI Banks would like companies that own or use equipment to be able to make informed choices about the equipment they use. The S&NI Banks would also like manufacturers to be made more aware of counterfeit notes in the market place on a regular formal basis so that they can improve their machines if required. Finally, the S&NI Banks would like to verify the capability of machines used for localised sorting and recycling.
2. What about other devices such as pens, UV lamps and such like?
These devices rely on the user to make a decision about whether the S&NI Banknotes are genuine or suspect. The framework is intended for automated machines that extract notes for further examination. UV Lamps and Pens should only be used to confirm decisions made after sight, feel, touch and comparison to published security features have been employed. The S&NI Banks issue advice about pens, UV lamps through the ACBI.
3. Why is my manufacturer not listed?
Please check with your manufacturer first. It may be that the tests have yet to take place.
4. Are all machines tested before being sold?
One machine of each type will be tested and verified with those settings then rolled out.
5. How do I check that my machine has the latest software update?
Please check with your manufacturer or their appointed agent on how to do this.
6. Why do I need to check that my machine has the latest software update?
Manufacturers often update the software in their machines if banknote designs change, or if a new counterfeit note has appeared which requires them to make amendments to their software. For best protection you should ensure that the machine you are using is the latest recommended by the manufacturer.
7. My manufacturer does not support my old machines, what do I do?
The framework is partly intended to enable users to make informed choices about the machines they use in their businesses. To ensure continued protection, it may be that you need to change the equipment that you use.
8. I am an importer/distributor of machines, how do I get these tested?
You should ask the manufacturer to contact us directly.
10. Does the framework apply to the Euro in the UK ?
No. Please go the ECB web site for more information. www.ecb.int on the Euro testing framework.
11. Why do you not certify all machines?
The S&NI Banks can only test example models of machines brought to us by manufacturers. Certification in itself does not imply a guarantee that a machine in use will always perform as the tested example. The S&NI Banks do not have any control over the way that machines in use are set up or serviced, and therefore we could not certify that all machines in use will always perform as the tested example.
12. Can I stick one of the S&NI Banks logo on my machine if it passes the test ?
No, but manufacturers can refer to the framework and the test results in their literature or the ACBI website.